80's Day at NLXF

80's Day at NLXF

Friday, February 17, 2012

And the Greatest of These is Love

In honor of the Valentine's Day holiday earlier this week Ryan challenged his members to "write a love letter"  to NLXF telling the world in six sentences or less what they love best about the program.  Grand prize was a month of free tanning.
 
The resulting entries, all posted on Facebook, were fun to read.  And as someone who also crafted a submission, it was fun to write.  But what was probably most significant from my perspective is that people participated....LOTS of people, as writers, readers and of course, comment writers.

As I read each and every post I could only be struck by the reoccurring themes that began to emerge.  Most made mention of particular exercises that really pushed them to their physical and mental limits.  While it is true that "the burpee" was mentioned most (see my previous post for more details on this most dreaded of exercises), pushups, lunges, high knees, planks, butt kicks and squats also received "honorable mentions."  But always, always, the letter would go on to explain how much the writer LOVED their NLXF experience. They cited the confidence they had gained, the self-esteem that had increased,the personal pride they took in their improvement, and the sense of "family" that had grown among all of the participants.

How is it that a program that brings so many of us to our knees both physically and emotionally can generate so much love and respect among its membership?

My opinion...Ryan and his staff are Master Motivators.  Let me explain.

In his best selling book Drive, author Daniel Pink explores what it takes to motivate persons in the 21st century.  In an effort to avoid a lengthy book review or academic diatribe let me try to summarize his premise as simply as possible:

Fun (the desire to stay involved) happens when effort (what I have to put into  it) and enjoyment (what I'm getting out of it) are fairly equal.  In other words, most people don't mind putting in effort as long as they can find something to like, both long and short term, within that effort.

I'm sure that each of you reading this blog can come up with an example of this in your own life; an illustration of a time when even though something was hard or difficult, you persisted because it was...well...FUN.  There was enjoyment in the process.  This doesn't mean it wasn't hard or uncomfortable.  What it means is that you found something to like within and/or as a result of the effort. 

An example I can give from my own NLXF work would be the Friday Kickboxing Gauntlet.  It's hard; you move constantly; the routines really make you push yourself mentally and physically.  We are coached to hit each bag, each time, as hard and with as much full body power as we can.  And we do!  And part of the reason we do is that it is FUN.  I feel effort and enjoyment are pretty much balanced during Friday Gauntlet.  We all let our inner beast emerge.  None of us are motivated by the "prize"  offered weekly...the month of free tanning.  We are motivated by the pleasure we get from giving it 110%

This "formula" may also explain why I hate burpees as much as Jake Lewis loves them.  I struggle with burpees...they are hard.  Despite what Ryan thinks I'm putting in a boat load of effort but alas, I'm reaping little enjoyment.  Jake on the other hand, puts in 110% worth of effort and loves the way burpees make him move his body and challenge his strength.  I aspire to be Jake Lewis...I am motivated to find the fun factor in burpees (but probably not next week)!

In addition, Pink believes that motivation, the desire to find enjoyment through effort, is contingent on three factors:  Autonomy, Mastery and Purpose, and that Master Motivators bring these factors into the work place with them.  Pink calls this Type I behavior.  Simply put, Ryan doesn't try to "control" us; (except of course, when he's blowing that damn whistle).  Instead he does everything he can to awaken a sense of ownership within us.  We get meaningful feedback, we are given choices, and we are encouraged to take on a bit more each and every time we enter the gym.  Ryan helps us discover the fun of taking responsibility for our workouts.  Ryan is a Type I Motivator.

Secondly, he keeps us engaged because he helps us discover that with effort we can improve.  Our improvement, which can be measured by reps, inches or pounds lost, or positive self-attitude gained, feeds into our enjoyment.  Our effort has paid off, therefore I want to do more.  How else to explain why so many of us are signing up for another 10 week session.  Mastery is painful:  Ryan and company help us discover the enjoyment that can come from pursuing it.

Thirdly, is purpose.  And this is where I feel the spirit that is NLXF plays a key role.  And sorry Ryan, while you get most of the credit here, you can't have all of it.  We, your members, contribute significantly to this as well.

Highly motivated people and master motivators connect their desires to a cause larger than themselves.  And while it is true that all of us at NLXF are working to improve ourselves, we don't do so at the expense of others; we do so in collaboration with others.  This is why I think there is such a  strong sense of "family membership" among the NLXF

In closing, I'd like to share a line from Lisa R's NLXF love letter that I feel best summarizes the unique Type I atmosphere instructors and participants have generated:

We love you NLXF for bringing people  together...one burpee at a time!

End note:
Every effort was made to authentically and accurately summarize and present the work of Daniel H. Pink. 

Second End note:  Ryan sent me a dozen long stemmed roses (yes, they still had the thorns on them) for Valentine's Day.   Not sure how that factors into Type I motivation behavior but I  will say I've been smiling ear to ear ever since!




2 comments:

  1. I'm sure I'd smile non stop if Ryan sent me roses too. I'm so glad you are enjoying the program and doing well at it. :) It sounds like you have a new special friend. (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretta, we've never met, but, after all this blogging and facebooking (is that a word?) I think I've gotten to know you. Besides, we are also connected through the amazing and wonderful Amy RohrBerg, Cathy Howland and Tad Klenske so you can't be all bad. :-) I might have to get my lazy butt out of bed and see what these morning classes are all about.
    I appreciate how you communicated Pink's ideas about motivating and motivation. I see this dynamic at work in NLXF and also with my crew of running buddies. We slog it out in -3 degree weather for a quick run up Grand and then back through the hilly neighborhoods that look out onto the Cedar River. We’re a bunch of 40-60 something of all shapes and sizes who get out and run, in the cold, on the hills, in the middle of effing winter and in the heat of the summer and give it our all. We are accountable to each other and we cheer each other on. The fun and reward is in the spiritual and physical wellness that our activity creates. Despite the heat the cold, and the aches and pains of age, the camaraderie is the best. Even better is the possibility of refueling with Scratch Cupcakes and re-hydrating with Cup of Joe Coffee or Rudy's Margaritas.
    Thanks for writing this. It was nice to give a name to what is happening in NLXFland.

    ReplyDelete